New interview with Troels Brun Folmann

作者 TombCrow, 2006 五月 22, 04:24:32

« 上一篇主题 - 下一篇主题 »

TombCrow

Tomb Raider Fans Magazine: Is there anything you can tell us about your earlier work? How were you chosen to compose the music for Tomb Raider: Legend?

Troels Brun Folmann: I originally came to Crystal Dynamics in order to conduct Ph.D. studies on dynamic and adaptive music for video games. I had previously done the cinematic score for their award-winning FPS, Project: Snowblind, which was a great and innovative project. The people at Crystal Dynamics were really happy with my music on Project: Snowblind, so we started debating potential options for scoring Tomb Raider Legend. I don't really have words to describe this, but I would believe it's the same feeling people have when they win the national lottery or something. I can tell you that there is not one single day (even after production) where I don't feel honored being a part of this great and intensive project. In the past I did a variety of indie movies, trailers and commercials, corporate sound design, sound logos and games.

TRFM: What feelings did you want to transfer with the Tomb Raider: Legend soundtrack?

TBF: Very good question. I basically try to envision the emotions that Lara explores during the game and think about how players would experience things from an emotional point of view. An example is the Croft Mansion. I wanted to make people feel relaxed, laid-back, safe and home. The music is extremely ambient and soft with a grand piano playing the main theme very gently. Another example when Lara is chased by the Sea Serpent in Arthur's Grave. I wanted a huge epic orchestral score to describe the majestic beast and Lara's confrontation.

I essentially believe that music is about conveying some level of emotion and the best games always provide some emotional experience to the players. Tomb Raider covers the whole spectrum of emotions from childhood dreams to hardcore combat, from exploration of old Tombs to the realization of your parent's death. What more could you ask for ... as a composer?

TRFM: Composing a soundtrack for a videogame like the Tomb Raider series is always a challenge. What method do you use to lift the pressure and create a nice piece of music?

TBF: It was a major challenge scoring Tomb Raider because everybody had different expectations for it. I have learned one valuable lesson in life and that's never to debate music with other people. The reason is that everybody hears it different and everybody has their own preference. I personally believe there is value in all types of music from country to hip-hop, classical to jazz, rock to pop, electronica to bad street musicians. Music is for everybody and it was very important for me to make a soundtrack that was epic, emotional, soft and wild - yet agreeing with popular music conventions. I personally try to learn from all musical genres, which I think comes with the trade of being a professional composer. You generally know what the majority of people like and do not like. Additionally there are plenty of scientific studies on how we perceive music and there are some established conventions about music harmony, instruments and choice of melodies that will have an impact. Naturally you also have to make the music contemporary. So it's a mixture of compositional skills, knowledge, gutt-feeling, conventions and most importantly... your ability to convey emotion as a composer.

I also have an interest in the more analytical dimensions of auditory perception, which is the science of how we perceive audio. Feel free to pick my brain and read one of my scientific papers:

Link

TRFM: It has been mentioned that the classic Tomb Raider theme is in Tomb Raider: Legend, however the fans have not been able to find it. Is it actually in the game, and if so, where can we hear it? What was your thought process behind composing the new theme, rather than remaking the original theme?

TBF: I have read a lot of people discussing this one topic and rest assure ... the game is loaded with the old theme. If you listen carefully to the main theme ... you will hear the old Tomb Raider theme played in the beginning on an ancient Duduk flute. Another example is the reward music that plays once you have completed a level. The reward music also uses the distinct 4-note theme from the first Tomb Raider games. It was important for me to show respect for the old games and themes, however I also wanted to bring something new to the table, since the game is complete new in so many ways.

TRFM: Are you familiar with Nathan McCree's work on earlier Tomb Raider games? If so, which elements would you highlight, or try to keep in Tomb Raider: Legend?

TBF: Nathan did a wonderful job on the first Tomb Raider games and I still adore his thematic works. The famous 4-note signature theme of the old Tomb Raider games will never faint away. I listened to all Nathan's works before starting on the Tomb Raider Legend score and found great inspiration in them.

TRFM: Based on the opinions from the fans, is there anything that you would change if you were to work on a future Tomb Raider project?

TBF: I read the forums every day and have learned a great deal from the fans. The fans are the most knowledgeable people when it comes to Tomb Raider and I treasure their ideas very highly.

TRFM: Do you play any instruments? If so, which one(s)?

TBF: I know a lot of instruments, which is important as a composer, especially when you are dealing with symphonic music. I started out playing piano when I was a kid and then moved to percussion. However during Tomb Raider Legend I also learned to play a variety of different ethnic flutes ranging from the Armenian Duduk to Bolivian Pan Flutes, from Irish flute to Japanese Shakuhachi. I also know the majority of instruments in a symphonic orchestra, but I am not nearly as good as the players in the orchestra.

TRFM: How familiar were you with the Tomb Raider franchise before you started to work on Tomb Raider: Legend? Has your opinion of the franchise changed now that you have composed the music for the game?

TBF: I played the first Tomb Raider game extensively. I remember I had just gotten my Voodoo card for my PC and I thought the world was about to end when I first saw Lara. It is absolutely one of the biggest leaps - if not the biggest - in the history of games. It entirely redefined my perspective on games and had a profound impact on me ... both visually and musically. I don't really think my perception of the franchise has changed, but I think I have a better understanding of powerful it is and how many fans are actually following its progress on daily basis. I am certainly one of the fans and there is something about Lara that will never go away.

To me... She represents a next-generation hero... with flaws and beauty... with cynical remarks and emotion... with a dark past and a darker future... a true adventurer in the modern sense... Ok... I am getting way too philosophical now!

: )

TRFM: Thank you very much for your time, Troels. We wish you the best luck for the future.

TBF: Thank you very for letting me to this interview! Amo el croft del lara!

*HUGS* Troels

Copyright © 2006 by www.tombraiderfans.com