Tomb Raider rises again

作者 TombCrow, 2005 十一月 18, 03:11:51

« 上一篇主题 - 下一篇主题 »

TombCrow

希望有时间有能力的朋友能够尽快翻译!(可以几个人分工啊~)

Tomb Raider rises again

Price £39.99 (GBP) / Developer Crystal Dynamics / Publisher Eidos / Format PS2, Xbox, PC, Xbox 360 / Out 2006

Edge talks to Lara\'s creators as they move ever closer to her reincarnation
[16/11/2005 15:27]

As much as you\'d like to, there are some things you simply can\'t share with others.

One of them, we\'ve discovered, is the answer to the question: \"What do you want from Tomb Raider Legend?\"

Even an off-record brainstorming session with Eidos\' senior European producer Greg Housnam fails to find the magic buzz-phrase to summarise our expectations, simply because such a thing doesn\'t exist. Not in words, at least.

Instead, the true appeal of Tomb Raider lies somewhere in among its sights, sounds and situations, communicable only between the player and the game.

So when the new Lara emerges - inventory strapped in its visible entirety around shoulders, waist and thighs - to look out over the most resplendent waterfall this side of Final Fantasy X-2, with a mental click we have our answer.

A few grid-free swings, shimmies and lever pulls later and the entire cascade of water splits and subsides to reveal the grand, overgrown face of a forgotten underworld. Another click. Our answer is confirmed.

\"This being the seventh title that we\'ve put out signifies how Lara, in many respects, is the face of Eidos,\" Housnam declares. \"She\'s a videogame icon and a household name, and so the expectations are huge.

\"We want to show that we recognise the need to push the brand and, indeed, the genre forward, and Crystal Dynamics was the developer with the experience and ability to do that.\"

Wrested from the hands of lifelong custodian Core Design, and from the brink of complete disownment by its jaded fans, Tomb Raider is looking surprisingly sprightly for a game so long in the tooth.

But isn\'t it the case, we ask lead designer Riley Cooper, that while Legend marks the reinvention of Lara Croft, it\'s also just a return visit to some of her oldest haunts?

\"In setting out to do this project we very much did look at the original Tomb Raiders: what made them popular and why people like them, so in some ways that accusation is correct. But I think we have brought modern-day expectations to bear.

\"The other part that\'s different is that we\'ve gone for a more cohesive experience in terms of the game\'s systems, level design and story. Those things are more tightly interrelated than anything done on the series before.\"

Locked fittingly in a tomb of its own while Crystal formulates a more modern interpretation, the retired status of the series\' previous code is Legend\'s greatest show of promise.

But as sincere as this return to the drawing board seems, aren\'t there inherent dangers in handing a characteristically Anglicised game over to Americans?

\"I don\'t believe so,\" Cooper replies. \"The biggest guard against that - no pun intended - is Mr Gard. He really is empowered to manage Lara, which means he has a big impact.\"

This is a return from voluntary exile for senior designer Toby Gard, a man who made such a break from both design tradition and his own resume with Galleon that the last place you\'d have expected to find him was in a consultancy role here.

\"I suppose it\'s been a lot more relaxing than normal,\" he reveals, his quintessentially British tones undiminished by Californian surrounds.

\"You know, I\'m used to having to call all the shots and that\'s not the case here, so it\'s been a somewhat more chilled-out experience because I\'ve been able to apply myself to smaller, more detailed parts of the game across various different points. It\'s remained interesting without that need to pull the whole thing along.\"

以上为第一部分(一共三部分),原文:http://www.gamesradar.com/features/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=38023&subsectionid=1634

TombCrow

或者挑选重要部分写一份大意